As a counsellor, I believe that the counselling relationship gives all the power back to you, the client. That is, I believe that you know the answers to questions or challenges you may have in your life, even if those answers appear to be obscured, hidden inside, or overshadowed by overpowering emotions. My skills are about knowing the right questions to ask and having the right tools and techniques to empower you to find those answers within yourself.
Every day we make choices to do or not do many things. These choices may range from profound to trivial and each one has an effect that makes our lives more fulfilling or less fulfilling, more balanced or less balanced. Counselling helps you learn how to make effective choices that create a balanced life.
I employ many therapeutic approaches in practice, including:
- Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy
- Solution-Focused Therapy
- Person-Centered Therapy
- Motivational Interviewing
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
The counselling approach used depends on the client and the presenting issue. However, you can be sure that I will:
- Be supportive and empathetic
- Help you clarify or change your thinking, emotions, and behaviours
- Work collaboratively with you to evaluate what is an effective plan for you
- Allow you to achieve the kind of control in your life that you are looking for